Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Songwriting as a band

3 posters

Go down

Songwriting as a band Empty Songwriting as a band

Post  afterthemovies Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm

What is your current songwriting progress as a band like? How has it progressed from when you guys first started to play music together? Through experience, any things that have worked and not worked over time?

afterthemovies

Back to top Go down

Songwriting as a band Empty Re: Songwriting as a band

Post  Tim TTNG Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi,

It's kind of hard to say as we haven't completely written anything from scratch as the new line up. Henry had a difficult job of coming into an album that was mostly done instrumentally, having to write guitar parts and getting his vocals down over songs that were already fairly structured and decided upon. It'll be nice to work on new stuff throughout the year when we're all able to work on songs at the same time and all input from the very beginning instead of having someone come in halfway through. As we are yet to do this, I don't think I can give you a completely accurate answer just yet! Smile

Thanks for the questions and we'll try to give you some better answers when we know them ; )

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Post  MattFlynn Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 am

Will Aardvark ever get released even as a one off? I would LOVE to hear it. Or perhaps a B-sides album with just random songs? Smile Thanks!

MattFlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  afterthemovies Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 am

True, that was harsh of me not including Henry, he is definitely part of the family now. What I meant to ask was for the previous three releases, what was the writing method you guys were doing? I'm mainly asking because everything that's been released sounds so complex yet all in order, very very neatly organized. As for the changes, more of from experience, what works best and worst when coming up with new songs or touching up songs? I in no way mean to ignore Henry, but seeing how there's no final releases with him yet, can't really ask him quite yet (but definitely expect it!) except how are all of you preparing for future releases?

afterthemovies

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim TTNG Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 pm

In older stuff it usually started with a bunch of guitar riffs which were written around the same time. They were then taken to a rehearsal and bass and drums were worked on and finally vocals were added. I guess the guitar in this case just kicked things off with an initial idea for a melody which was then messed with along the way as the other instruments were worked on and added.

I think for me more jam based song writing doesn't really work. I've never got comfortable in getting into a rehearsal room and thinking right we have 2 or 3 hours to be creative and productive! Always seems too pressured to me; I much prefer to work a riff out at home and then refine it after it's been sent round for the other guys to listen to or at least for them to hear once or twice before a rehearsal.

I think for future material, we'll probably send the riffs around and give people time to see what they think and see if there's something they can add (if they like it!). We don't all live in the same place so it will mean we'll have to send round riffs and ides to each other and then do quite a bit on our own before meeting up to work it into a real song I think.

Thanks I love you

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down