Various questions for Tim :)

Go down

Various questions for Tim :)

Post  Banjocal on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Tim, I have a few questions. It'd be greatly appreciated if you could answer them: I'm a math rock/blues guitarist, and I'm trying to fuse the two (and doing pretty well), but I'd like to know what you have to say Smile

1) do you use your ring finger much when playing? I only use my index and middle: do you think this will hold me back? I tend to use three note rolls a lot because of it.
2) who are your prime influences?
3) how do you compose lines in odd time signatures while still keeping musicality in mind? Your playing is very technical: it almost certainly seems intentional when you do intricate lines, rather than something you spontaneously came up with and then improved.
4) do you guys use cross and polyrhythms as much as people say you do? I rarely notice them in songs, yet people say you guys use them a lot.

Thanks for your time, and I can't wait for the new album! Smile

Banjocal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Various questions for Tim :)

Post  milklizard on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:37 am

Personally I'd say you're losing a lot by only using those two fingers. I always use those three and occassionally throw in my pinky as well if parts get dense with the plucking.

milklizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim TTNG on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 am

Hi, thanks for the questions, hope I answer them well enough for you!

1) Yeah I do tend to use my ring finger and also little finger too (pinky) as recently I've enjoyed getting those 5 note kinda sweeps in there. My ring and little fingers are still relatively weak though so it's still a technique I'm working on. It's pretty fun just trying not to overuse it : )

2) My early influences were John Frusciante and Mike Einziger and guitarists who influenced my playing more are Sam Zurick and Victor Villarreal. Really innovative stuff to my ears when I first heard them.

3) Hmm not too sure, it just kinda happens really. Usually it is pretty spontaneous but will for example a riff idea might just happen and then it's refined and the actual delivery needs practising. So sometimes I'll get a riff and be really into where it's going and its say 80% there from the beginning, just needs practise and repetition really.

4) Not too much but it is definitely something we enjoy. I think it's pretty good fun and if it finds a place in a song naturally that's cool but it's tempting to sometimes get sections like this that sound cool but are then overused (maybe we do!) : )

Thanks very much for the questions ; )

Tim TTNG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down