Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gigging guitars

3 posters

Go down

Gigging guitars Empty Gigging guitars

Post  milklizard Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 am

How many guitars to you typically bring along to shows to accommodate for all of your tunings? I know there are a few tunings that are usually just a string or two different.

milklizard

Back to top Go down

Gigging guitars Empty Re: Gigging guitars

Post  Tim TTNG Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 am

Ah interesting question! It's a constant battle to spread the number of tunings across a certain number of guitars. Typically I take two guitars out but I might be making it three this year. If it was financially possible I'd probably have a guitar for each tuning but that would be ridiculous and also a pain to transport. Luckily a friend of mine has helped out a lot on tour this year with tunings so even if it's spread between two guitars it has saved a lot of time during a set. A problem of course with all these tunings is that the guitars are not actually set up for each specific tuning so you start to get onto set up issues - had a pretty hard time in the studio recently because of this!

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Post  milklizard Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 am

Tim TTNG wrote:A problem of course with all these tunings is that the guitars are not actually set up for each specific tuning so you start to get onto set up issues - had a pretty hard time in the studio recently because of this!

Do you mean that in regard to things like the string sizes and action and whatnot?

milklizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim TTNG Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 am

Yep exactly that. I've always my guitars set up for standard tuning but will probably need to do some massive analysis of all the tunings I use, which tunings will be use don each guitar, and what would be the best tuning to get them set up to. There's a tuning I've been using where the G goes right up to a C and that can cause some pain!

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Post  milklizard Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 am

Tim TTNG wrote:Yep exactly that. I've always my guitars set up for standard tuning but will probably need to do some massive analysis of all the tunings I use, which tunings will be use don each guitar, and what would be the best tuning to get them set up to. There's a tuning I've been using where the G goes right up to a C and that can cause some pain!

Yeah, I can see why that would be an issue. Have you just been using standard .10s? I typically use a .09 set for the high 3 strings and a .10 set for the lower 3.

milklizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim TTNG Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 am

Usually just .10s but I have a couple of tunings where I've started using two b strings instead of a g

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Gigging guitars Empty What guitars do you own?

Post  MattFlynn Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 am

Just a few questions:

You said you own several guitars, which ones?
What is your favourite guitar?
What was your first guitar?

Thanks! Can't wait to see you play again!

MattFlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim TTNG Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 am

Hi, I have a Patrick eggle Berlin (my first guitar), a prs ce22 and a prs swampash special (newer model). Not sure I have a favourite really, maybe the swampash as its newest! : )

How about yourself?

Tim TTNG

Back to top Go down

Post  MattFlynn Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 am

Your first guitar was a Patrck Eggle Berlin, nice! I have a Yamaha Pacifica (first guitar) and a BC Rich Mockingbird Special, which I brought as I was going through my 'metal stage' about 5 years ago haha. It produces a surprising nice clean tone though which I usually use now for my band.

MattFlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down